My fickle nature is apparent by my short attention span for new mobile apps. I’ll try almost anything that gets a buzz once, but if I’m not wowed at Hello it’s an extremely short relationship. Even the winners only get a couple of months of my time before the next shiny app grabs my attention.
That said, the flavor of March is Socialcam. Dubbed “the easiest way to share videos” Socialcam is fabulous, simply fabulous. At “Hello” you are greeted with an option to sign up via email or Facebook Connect. If you choose Facebook you automatically follow all of your friends who are already on the app (so you may want to go and clean that up if you have random friends like moi).
- You may add an existing video from your mobile or you can record on the spot
- Choose from ten fun filters, or none
- Once complete you can keep private or make public
- You’re prompted to share with others via email or text
- Post to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Posterous and Tumblr all at once
- Tag people in the video through Socialcam profiles or Facebook profiles (it’ll land on their wall!)
- Bonus – you can also share directly to Facebook pages you manage
- You can follow activity of those you have friended through Socialcam in one tab and check in on your own activity on another
- If you allow notifications then each time a friend posts a video you’ll receive a pop-up alert
- Videos can also be saved to camera roll
- If you shared the video to Facebook comments are displayed on both Socialcam and Facebook regardless of where they were posted originally
- You get an alert when a friend watches your video even if they don’t like or comment
- Analytics (views, engagement) are available on Socialcam.com
- There’s a widget (see their website) available to integrate it on your own site (look to the right, I’ve got mine embedded!)
Hidden Gem: If seven of your Facebook friends sign up for Socialcam after you then you get to create a 22 character bio like featured users have (it’s the small things in life). You’ll find this in Settings > Advanced > Get a featured Bio. The only issue is getting it into 22 characters!